The Massachusetts Office of the Inspector General seeks a highly motivated Senior Auditor for its Internal Special Audit Unit. The Internal Special Audit Unit monitors the quality, efficiency and integrity of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation's (MassDOT's) operating and capital programs and seeks to prevent, detect and correct fraud, waste and abuse in the expenditure of public and private transportation funds.
The Successful Candidate Will:
- Perform operational audits, investigations and reviews to assess the adequacy of internal controls, effectiveness of agency processes, and compliance with MassDOT policies.
- Identify control weaknesses, potential fraud, the misuse or waste of funds, and opportunities for cost savings.
- Lead audits or participate as a team member on specific audit projects.
- Develop and execute audit and investigative plans.
- Lead meetings and interviews.
- Propose recommendations to address identified risks as well as work with the Director to develop appropriate corrective actions for any areas of concern.
- Work effectively with data analytics software (ACL) to examine and compare large sets of data.
- Assist in report writing and supporting the ISAU hotline.
- Obtain a solid understanding of the areas under review in order to develop an effective audit/investigative approach.
- Review team members' work papers, and provide guidance, coaching and feedback to lesser-experienced team members.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business administration or other related field.
- Minimum of 4 years' experience conducting audits or fraud investigations with experience in a leadership capacity.
- Strong organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated information technology skills, including data analytics, and proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Strong writing and verbal skills, including the ability to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong time management skills.
- Ability to handle several projects concurrently.
Salary range: $60-70K
- Advanced professional designation, such as Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information System Auditor (CISA).
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS).
- Experience auditing government entities.
How To Apply:
Email cover letter and resume to:
Mary Beth Farrelly
Chief Financial Officer
1 Ashburton Place, Room 1311, Boston, MA 02108
Agency Web Address:
The Commonwealth acts in good faith to affirmatively recruit a diverse population. If you wish to self-identify, please click on the links below. Completing this form is voluntary. If you choose to self-identify, please note that all Affirmative Action and Disability data is kept in a confidential file.
Link to Disability Form (return this form to the ADA Coordinator listed below)
Link to the Veterans Forms (return this form to the Diversity Officer listed below)
Diversity Officer/ADA Coordinator:
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.